So, What's Hacking?The best way to discover what "non-hacking" means, is to understand the hacking mechanism of a movement. Watch hacking, otherwise referred to as the "second hand halt mechanism" or "seconds stop function", is a function that allows the watch wearer to stop the second hand of movement at will. This is typically accomplished by pulling a watch's crown out to its time-setting position, which causes the hacking lever to stop the balance wheel and gear train of the watch. It is important to note that this does not stop the timekeeping function of the watch, it merely disengages the hands of the watch to allow for setting of the time.
Are Non-hacking Movements Less Accurate or Poorer Quality?
The short answer to these questions is -- Absolutely not!
In fact, many of the highest regarded watchmakers produce non-hacking movement, such as Patek Philippe, Vacheron Consantin and Zenith. The quality of these movements is, by far, some of the best made in the market today. There are even Hi-beat movements (36,000 bps) made that are non-hacking.
How Do I Set The Time on A Non-Hacking Movement?
The answer to this question really depends on individual preference and whether you are laid back about the time or an accuracy hawk.If you are laid back about whether your watch exactly matching the time down to the second setting the time is pretty simple:
- Check your phone or any reliable clock available.
- Pull your crown out to the time-setting detent.
- Set the hour and minute hands to match the time
- Set time to 1 minute past the actual time.
- Unscrew the crown and pull out to the time-setting position.
- When the second approaches the 12 o'clock position, apply a very slight amount of reverse torque to the crown. The amount should be slight, just enough to make the minute hand move in reverse.
- Maintain constant slight backwards pressure for 10 to 15 seconds. The second hand will stop.
- When the atomic clock reaches the seconds indicated on your watch, release the pressure on the crown and allow the second hand to move again.
- Move your minute hand to the proper time.
Interested in collecting watches? Join Watch Gang today and you’ll get a brand new watch every month! Every watch is guaranteed to be worth up to 5x what you paid for your membership dues so you always get a great deal. PLUS, every member is entered for the chance to win a Rolex and TAG every week!